View Single Post
      03-26-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

The reason I sigh is that this issue has been addressed carefully many times.

Unless there has been some recent change in the UK specifications for the F48 X1, the advice you have received from BMW is NOT "The Truth". Some "expert" has mistakenly responded to you by parroting the functionality of BMW's adaptive suspension system, which is fitted to some higher-end BMWs ...but not the F48. Also, it's not all too apparent BMW has renamed and acronymed its various systems so many times that not even those who ought to be able to advise customer correctly can do so.

Dynamic Damper Control (as it is called in Australia for the F48) or Electronic Damper Control (as in the UK) is simply a two setting control for the damping provided by the car's shock absorbers achieve through valve settings on the shock absorbers. In the BMW documentation, it is described as Dynamic/Electronic Damper Control: "In addition to the standard COMFORT setting, which assures a smooth and comfortable ride, there is also a SPORT mode. This setting stiffens the damper for a more direct, athletic driving performance. Each mode is activated by the Driving Experience Control switch in the centre console." (brochure, p25)

So, for precision, all F48 X1s are equipped with the Driving Experience Control (DEC), which provides switching for throttle mapping (Eco Pro; Comfort, Sport...). Adaptive damping is provided via the Dynamic/Electronic Damper Control (D/EDC), which is optional, and provides firmer shock absorber damping when the DEC is switched to Sport.

It seems unlikely BMW will have changed all this just for the UK market...but who knows. And, if there has been a recent change to the F48 replacing D/EDC with an adaptive systems, ignore all this, and shoot me......ok?

But I just "built" an X1 on the UK site, and this is what it tells me in relation to EDC:
"Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
£ 390.00
Electronic damper control allows the driver to change the damper characteristics to two different settings, for an exceptionally smooth ride or increased driving dynamics. Along with the standard COMFORT setting, which provides a serene and pleasant driving experience, the SPORT setting is also available. When it is selected, the damper settings are firmer and the driving characteristics are more direct and dynamic. The settings are activated with the Driving Experience Control switch in the centre console.
Benefits at a glance:
dynamic or comfortable driving at the push of a button
optimal vibration characteristics, based on the load
reduction in unpleasant pitching motions"

So, to be clear, EDC is simply a damper with a switchable damping valve. Activating the switch gives firmer damping. That is all.
Appreciate 0