View Single Post
      03-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
mchlpeel
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thumbs up EDC on UK BMW X1 (F48) THE TRUTH

Ok guys after a bit of a nightmare actually getting to post this (needing 3 posts elsewhere) here it is.

I read a lot about Electronic Damper Control (EDC) and found lots of conflicting information.

I decided to ask BMW directly about what EDC actually does for the UK spec X1

I sent the following (answers in italics)

I have a query about the UK spec BMW X1. One of the options is electronic damper control (EDC)

Does this option do anything in comfort mode or does it only do something in sport mode?
Both, the dampers react differently in both modes and feedback information to the vehicle’s computer which adjusts the suspension settings in real time.

If its in comfort mode does it soften suspension over pot hole etc over and above standard suspension without EDC?
Absolutely, the standard suspension settings are locked in whereas with the EDC they react to the road surface and driving conditions, flattening out bumps and potholes by adjusting accordingly. The end result is a more comfortable drive with EDC than with the standard suspension just by itself.

I hope this clears up the confusion for anyone buying an X1 in the UK.

EDIT

SEE POST #14 FOR THE REAL TRUTH!

Last edited by mchlpeel; 03-28-2017 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Edited to show Final outcome
Appreciate 0