ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtheted View Post
Am I correct that the Aisin f48 8speed box is also controlled via GPS to ensure the correct ratio is use for the road ahead? Has anyone got a write up on the subject please?
I know that it happens with the latest 8 speed automatic ZF gearboxes in some later X1's. I do not know about the Aisin 8 speed box from earlier production. It will actually change down a gear as you go into a tight bend, and back to the original gear when you are back out onto the straight road it goes back to original gear.
I have seen the statement somewhere. If I find it, I will post the link. I remember seeing it on a Youtube video.
This is slightly confusing — I think @Peter_R means the ZF transmissions in later, larger BMW X series (X5, X7??).

As to the Aisin 8 AT, unless this has been a recent upgrade in 2020 builds, then I'd say not. That said, the transmission is relatively 'smart' and does quite a reasonable job selecting ratios for road conditions when left in 'auto' — especially with 'Sport' selected on the EDC.

We just did a 6 day trip covering almost 1000km over hilly, twisty and quite rough roads, and I found the X1 quite decent to drive — just the odd intervention for a little more engine braking, or to set up for a quick overtake.
Appreciate 0