Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Dude we are faced with the same issues when we are designing these things. Just because its a requirement for one car and not another doesn't mean we won't follow it. So no you can't say it's bullshit for certain.

Ignorant.
"Dude",

The last sentence was ignorant...

Now, going over rudeness, let's get to the point:

- X1 and X2 share the same platform, same engine layout, pretty much identical. Not even different vehicle, from a different class, different technical approach, different chassis, etc.
- same vehicle, with different windows and you are telling me that is due to a "requirement". this is puerile.
- The testing X2 vehicles including the main design and prototype vehicle does not have a horizontal hood line. Did you notice that?
- There are many vehicles with a bigger front impact surface are more aggressive toward pedestrian impact, yet they don't have a horizontal line.
- One of my best friends is a designer for VW (one of the few guys that worked on Veyron) and he also told me clearly that the bumper takes all the charge and are designed to submerge in a case of an impact. As he mentioned, many times, the hood line design approach is chosen due to other reasons (technical approach for, locks, design, other components that don't want to be exposed under the hood and are not exposed to accidental touch, etc.) and never because of pedestrian rule. He calls that bullshit.
- Not the last, do you know the pedestrian rule and what that means? - Also based on that, can you please elaborate about the "requirements" you are talking about and enlighten us why in X1 and X3 the approach was different than the X2?
-I also have some design experience so I am waiting fro yuor reply... DUDE
Whatever you can have your opinion.

Wasn't being rude, just your opinion is very short sighted. And everybody has a friend in the business.

Unless you design these cars for a living and deal with stuff day to day then you just can't justify short sighted claims Dutch as these.

I deal with hearing this stuff all day long from people who don't know all the intricacies of product design so I pop my lid. Sorry that you took the brunt that day.

Either way it's done and if you don't like it move on or buy another brand who do not in your mind take shortcuts. Simple move vote with your wallet.

Volkswagen I feel has better designers (just an opinion) and every designer as well as engineers all have strengths but what your missing is it's not all up to the designer or engineer it's the platform and the cost of the whole project. Their may have been other reasons that that was not done.

Volkswagen has their way Bmw has theirs. Audi takes a different path to meet requirements. Their lower diffusers cheat the length requirement. Every company is different.

Again my original stance stands unless you where at Bmw when the discussions and decisions where made you have no evidence to support your claim. Just say you don't like it! That's simple and to the point and a very good opinion but to say its shortcuts and all that you just can't say.

Would you pay another 5k for the car to have the hood shaped differently ? Some would not. So sacrifices are made.
Appreciate 0