View Single Post
      03-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #75
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I have raced in VLN for past 3 years with 2 24 hour races now and I can say unfortunately its not unexpected for cars to lift off on flugplatz some at a very high elevation. this particular combination with a smooth plane undercarriage its not a matter of if, just when. Even in the lower classes you should scrub a little speed before the jump which levels the car. however in a race its contradictory to do that. you want to take advantage of this when you can so you can take a gamble with a car such as a GTR GT3 with very high level of mechanical grip.

I'm guessing they will throw in a control measure forcing cars to slow down like a double yellow up flugplatz. wouldn't cause too much impact as normally you will have somewhere on the track thats double yellow because of some incident preventing the disabled vehicle from being removed safely during the race.

long term if they want to keep the upper echelon cars racing at the N24, VLN, RCN, etc etc then flugplatz probably has to be resurfaced and spectators should not be at that spot. just hope they leave pflantzgarten 2 alone.

i think its entirely appropriate they limited the aero cars from competing for now until they can implement some controls. drivers all know the risks they take, but its entirely unacceptable for a spectator to die or be injured. i feel aweful for the families and the driver too. he did his job. no fault at all on him. no fault on the car's design. nor of the race organizers. its just a feature of the track that needs to be updated with the times.