CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Compared to iDrive, CarPlay is a joke. From what I've seen, where CarPlay comes in, are these US brand customers (Ford, GM), where they are coming from a brutal Sync or Intellilink/MyLink system that was pure trash from a UI experience.

I'll definitely still pass on CarPlay in a BMW though. I much prefer iDrive.
Tell us how you feel in the next couple of years when BMW stops updating iDrive and you start hitting compatibility issues with the apps.
It's not like iDrive will just decide to stop working one day. My CIC and NBT vehicles both work great for what I use them for:
-Both phones paired at the same time
-Bluetooth audio streaming

I understand people use their infotainment in much larger capacities, I'm just not one of those people. These are old cars, MY2013, MY2015.

Ultimately, I just don't see myself using CarPlay. I've tried it via Wireless in a few loaners I've had, as well as a few rental cars. I just feel boxed in and very limited. Messages? Ya, good luck with that, the way Siri has been going the last few years, I'm not missing out on anything there.

Google Maps in CarPlay as a passenger was clunky, I can't do anything else on the phone, without losing what was happening with the directions, it's a bit useless with too many compromises. This was about 4 months ago, maybe things have changed.

I also much prefer my Nav through iDrive, but it's all down to personal preference.

I tried to help my parents in the G05 by using CarPlay, and we all came to learn that iDrive was a far superior system delivering a simpler user experience when set up properly. 95% of they need is already on their home screen when the vehicle is started, and if it's not, it is 1 button click away on the iDrive controller. That won't change, compatibility down the road with new Bluetooth standards might, but iDrive itself will continue to remain a very purposeful built system and should be able to serve the main uses and needs for open communication standards (Bluetooth album art, telephone calls etc...)

BMW is already getting massive semi-conductor scale and pricing on having CarPlay in every car they produce (from an infotainment / chipset perspective). It's a smart move, makes development resources way more efficient to a larger scale of customers. However, going one step further to charge customers an annual fee to use it? Ya, I'll gladly pass if I have iDrive at my disposal.
Appreciate 0