View Single Post
      09-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Early trips to the service department?

Well, at exactly 1944 miles, this past Tuesday afternoon, I noticed that the "check engine soon" light had come on. At first I thought "Is this car due for some sort of scheduled maintenance I forgot about?" Then, within a few seconds I came to my senses and realized that there is nothing normal or scheduled about the check engine light coming on under 2K miles.

The car seemed to be running fine, so I got home and called the BMW service department. The appointment was scheduled for today. The service advisor was very nice. He said sometimes the car's owners don't screw their gas cap on all the way, and that can trigger the light. I told him I was pretty sure the gas cap was screwed on just fine.

He said sometimes it's a leak somewhere in the fuel tank or fuel line, and they have to perform a "smoke" test to see if the "smoke" leaks out anywhere.

He invited me to "enjoy the coffee and donuts" while I waited for transportation to my work.

Later today, I got the call. Bad fuel pump! Now, I've heard about BMW's bad fuel pumps, but didn't realize just how often this happens. They keep 'em in stock just like replacement bulbs and fuses.

Anyway, it was under warranty, of course, and I can only hope I get a little more than 2K miles out of the next one.

I was wondering how many other 1ers out there have made a trip to the shop so early in their life?... or are most of them perfect so far?