View Single Post
      02-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegun View Post
I can confirm this as well. Replaced my rear pad and rotor at 20k miles. Replacing front at 25k miles. I suspect this is might be caused by the Xdrive using too much brakes to enhance handling and cornering. I now drive with DSC completely turn off (5 sec hold). When I drive, I typically let my car roll as much as I can, apply early light braking, and even use lower gears to help braking often. So this pretty surprising. Replacing them with better rotors and ceramic pads now, will report back when they wear out too.
For me, turning DSC completely off, or even setting to limited DSC, to avoid excessive brake pad wear is not the best idea... The loss or limiting of traction control assistive functions are not worth the marginal benefit of longer pad life.

I do think BMW may have addressed the premature brake pad wear issue as they recently updated the part number for the rear (as of today, most recent part # is 34216859917, which supersedes old part # 34216860403).

For the front, I went with Akebono set (EUR1892) as they're cheaper, comes with a wear sensor, and others have reported less dusting/noise. If Akebonos were available for the rear when I had to do the brake job, I would've purchased those instead. So far, the Akebonos up front are quiet, perform similarly to BMW pads and do seem to create less dust. I haven't tested the limits of the Akebonos (e.g., emergency stopping or rapid on/off braking), so I can't fully comment on the performance at the extreme limits.
Appreciate 0