View Single Post
      08-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #38
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I'm curious what makes you say this? I do think it could be great for folks who's idea of off-road is taking that 5 miles of minimum maintenance road to a state park campsite, or a short mild trail trip, but in the true "off-road adventure" sense as they are marketing it I doubt you'll see many people use EV.

As someone who is off-road quite a bit with trail driving and overlanding I have to disagree with it being better and more capable. Yes, the R1T has some features that may be great for off-road driving like the multiple modes, 4 motor drive system and adjustable height which will likely make performance off-road good, but when you're off-road, especially for longer periods of time, things break. ICE and traditional drivetrains are "easy" to fix on the trail. The R1T is likely not going to be easy to fix on the trail, if you can fix it at all on the trail. The weight of the R1T is going to mean more stress on components and higher likelyhood that you're going to snap drivetrain and suspension components. More weight means higher chance of getting stuck, and if you're stuck or hung up on something thats a lot of weight to pull out.

Another thing is fuel. Bringing extra fuel is a important piece to anyone who is off the pavement a lot. You use more fuel when off highway, and it will be the same with EV. Sometimes finding a fuel station close to trails is hard enough, let alone charging stations. There aren't going to be chargers set up on the trails, and solar tech is at it's peak and can not provide enough charge for EV without having massive panels (larger than the vehicle).
Probably this.

Appreciate 0