View Single Post
      05-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #36
cryze
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive 18d

I'm very happy to report that this unit works as expected.

I managed to fit everything below the headunit, after the experience with the Joyeauto wired carplay device, it was very easy to do it again, but some neat cable routing helps a lot when fitting the box below the headunit. Beware that the dash trim has very sharp edges especially if you have leather seats, and make sure to have some towels to protect the center console when removing the headunit.

I also placed the Mic behind the iDrive screen, it has a big enough gap for the cable to route behind the screen and the mic remains hidden away.

Quick thoughts:
The screen does seem a bit stretched vertically, as mentioned by others. If it wasn't pointed out by others I would probably not think about it twice. In the settings though you can tweak Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Saturation.

The wheel controls and iDrive works as expected though it takes a little bit getting used to because of the horizontal nature of the Carplay UI.

Music sounds less bright in comparison with direct USB input to the car. I tried using the EQ in the carplay box's settings but even though it displays a few frequency bands I could only switch between presets. EQing should fix the sound without messing with the iDrive's EQ, if I can find my way to move the bands I want.

Voice commands also work pretty well, I'm not having any issues with siri recognizing my voice, and it's pretty fast. I'm guessing it depends on the phone.

An extra detail is that they include a very fancy looking USB drive in the box for possible future updates and a dash trim tool. So you won't need to buy trim tools, and you only need a 20 Torx for the screws.

I recommend it happily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00