05-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #35
ScottR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 iDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
I've seen mention of the hey siri before. Does this mean you can't press the voice talk button and get siri to activate in the carplay you need it to listen for hey siri all the time?

When you are placing calls are you using the phone app in carplay or bailing out to the native stuff?

I do like that the steering wheel controls work with this unit you don't get that with factor carplay.

In the other forum linked people were asking if you saw weird stuff happening in the native idrive while carplay was running if you were navigating around since the i/o from the controller is being sent to both units at the same time? Can you check and see what's up there? I'd had to do something silly like delete a car drive profile b/c of "rogue" inputs to idrvie from a unit like this.

I'm still working on the "best" way for the phone app to work. It seems if you don't pair the unit with bluetooth then it wont use the factory mics built into the car. I am using the carplay function to place phone calls. It seems if the voice talk button doesn't bring up the Siri function at all. You can use the "Hey Siri" function or tap the Menu button on the iDrive controller to activate Siri.

One thing that may want to be noted. This unit basically uses the aux "line input" from the headunit. Once you switch to the input - you basically go into carplay mode. Any functions like FM/Sat Radio will not be broadcast since the input is using the AUX port. Although if you are using factory nav instructions will still be broadcast. The heads up display also will not show any carplay navigation information but will still show factory nav if you are using it.

I haven't seen any issues with the iDrive after installation although I haven't driven the car much as it isn't my daily driver. Will check on this.
Appreciate 0