View Single Post
      06-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #65
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Last year in the spring I paid a programmer/tuner who had BMW ECU coding software on his laptop with an ODBII connector. I customized all sorts of cool features to my X1. Then I paid extra for another ECU program that controls the Turbo. It's a pre-customized map that he uses on other BMW X1's and other Bimmers. It even allows for additional customization if you have a CAI. I have a BMS CAI and this added about 40 HP and about the same in TQ to the wheels...not the crank so you would have to add about 20% to get the crank figure. The gains are very noticeable and the gas mileage hasn't really changed. I didn't have to buy a "Chip" but if I didn't have access to this programmer/tuner than my choice would be the BMS JB4. Also I asked my tuner for the conservative tune. 2 liter turbos can make above 400 HP these days and even Jaguar and Porsche have 2 liter engines. The new Z4 and the a new version of the Supra now comes with a the same 2 liter engine. The new X2 M35i has over 300 HP and 300 TQ with a similar engine. I'm not at all a fan of the X2 and you can now dress up the X1 similarly to an X2 in the 2021 model. By adding the additional HP and TQ at the wheels, getting 19" aftermarket wheels and wider performance tires you can enhance the ride of the X1 and believe me it is suprisingly fun to drive. Maybe not as much as a BMW sports sedan like an M3 or M4 or 3 series with M package and large engine but at least very close to a X3 M4.0. And you can find a lot of aftermarket interior trim kits for the dash and console. Even a box for that space under the arm rest to hide all your stuff that looks OEM and even has a cutout for your USB connector. I added Pioneer Tweeters and a Pioneer Powered Subwoofer in the trunk under the cover with controllers where the hidden coin box is under the headlight controls. It comes with an active crossover so that you can adjust the speakers under seats to act more like lower mids than subs. The tweeters are mounted flush on the black trim pieces in the corners adjacent to the outside mirrors similar to the Harmon Kardon system and the whole setup sounds much better than the HK system which BMW charges an extra $1K for like about 1/2 that. I also have 2 other sports cars that I drive in the summer but more and more I prefer the view and the suspension of the X1. Our roads in Montreal have a lot of crevices, cracks, indents, sunken manhole covers, expansion joints on the elevated highway and bridges, speed bumps and not mention pot holes. My X1 is fully optioned and that sunroof in the summer is awesome. Sometimes I prefer to let my wife drive so that I can enjoy the view out of all that glass. The visibility in the X1 is exceptional and I haven't had any blind spot issues. In my opinion the 3 best values in the BMW line up are the new 3 series, the X1 and the X3 M4.0. Also I did remove the runflats and kept the OEM 18"wheels for the winter with winter tires. If you like customizing vehicles you can do a lot of things to an X1. Even Ebay has shiny silver metallic button covers for the radio and climate controls and all the console controls around the Idrive controller and the buttons next to the gear leaver. You can dress up these cars as much as you want and it's not expensive. I added LEDs to my fogs to match the head lights and also LED amber turn signals. You need to program the ECU to allow this. If anyone has any questions about what I've done you can PM me. Also I will try and post pictures this week.

Last edited by Xorbitman; 06-03-2020 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 1