View Single Post
      08-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #33
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
The more I drive the Tesla the more I think this is a one-way street. In the sense that it's pretty easy to go from gas to electric, but going back will be a huge pain. The other day my wife and I went someplace, she was driving, and we were in a C6 Corvette Z06. And I was amazed by how much work she had to do. Shifting, working three pedals, all that crazy noise from the engine and the transmission - and the car was delivering much less than the Tesla. Sure, it has 200hp over the Model 3 AWD, but you just can't get much benefit from that on the street. The 0-20 torque advantage of the electric motor, on the other hand, is very usable in the same conditions.

The best analogy that comes to mind is this. Driving a gas car is like trying to think when you've just woken up and haven't had any caffeine. Now you go get some exercise, have a healthy breakfast and some strong coffee - the way you feel once everything clicks in place is what it is to drive a Tesla. For that, I'm beginning to forgive the vinyl seats and weird look.

But I still need my HUD. I find myself driving stupidly fast and not knowing it too often.
There are quite a few steps from Z06 MT to Model 3 DM.

A colleague has an easier transition from F30 to Model 3 DM, namely, a 330i ZF 8AT to Model 3. The 330i is still in his household, and his comments are that switching between the 2 cars is seamless to him.

The difference between your experience and his is probably that the B46 + ZF 8AT is so brilliant that 0-20/0-30/0-40/0-60 is as seamless and drama-less as an electric motor minus the instant torque.

To him, at Model 3 price points(even after fed credit), the Model 3 DM($43k + tax + fee after fed credit?) is expected to perform better than 330i(which was a base sport acquired for $31k + tax + fees after all incentives), and his impressions of Model 3 have been glowing. Maybe the comparison would be different for 340i versus Model 3.
Appreciate 0