i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Nice.

I opted for the Speedymoto under fairing sliders. I figure if the bike is going down, the fairings are going to get rashed anyways.

As far as suspension, you don't need a full out Ohlins setup. I opted to because I just had the upgrade bug. Many have opted to have the Showa bits reworked with valve kits and springs. Some have gone part way with an Ohlins setup by getting a DU515. But the general consensus is to get the rear shock reworked/upgraded before doing too much with the front forks.

Consider getting some sort of hugger over the rear tire. I got the shorty style made out of carbon fiber from Motowheels. I did the sacrilegious thing of painting the carbon fiber black to match the front fender and bottom fairings. While the carbon fiber was really nice looking if left alone, I would have to change out a bunch of things to match the carbon fiber which I wasn't willing to do. The rear hugger will help in prolonging the life of that rear shock as you'll see a lot of crap getting kicked up by the rear tire.

I'd consider getting rear axle and fork sliders. I have a set from R&G Racing. The nice thing about the R&G rear axle sliders is that they also double as lift points for a rear stand.

I'd also put some serious consideration into the brakes. While many say the two piece Brembos are more than adequate for the bike, I didn't like the stock Brembos for the 848. Of all things, I felt the Tokico's on my ZX-10R which many of the 10R owners love to hate were better feeling than the Brembos and felt like they stopped better. Changing the stock Brembos to the monoblocks that came with the 1198s was well worth it. The feel and engagement is so much better.

Oh and not sure if you've done this yet. But consider getting a radiator/oil cooler guard. I got a set from Cox Racing and it was the very first thing I did to the bike. Having a punctured radiator is not fun especially at how much a radiator costs on these bikes. The Cox Racing kit also comes with a crankcase protector which is a must for these bikes. The protector bolts up behind the crank gear cover. In the situation where if your chain would happen to fail, the crankcase protector will provide some protection against the chain punching a hole into your engine case. I've seen pictures of this happening on our gen bikes and it wasn't pretty.
Good advice, all around! I haven't ridden in almost 10 years; just getting my feet wet again. I don't think I'll see any track time in the next year - but as I get more comfortable with the bike, I'll look to upgrade those functional components. For now, I'll settle with the suspension weight-tuning, and how it feels afterwards... That upgrade bug, man -- hits like a ton of bricks, and completely feel your pain. This winter's been pretty brutal - so I've had mods waiting, and I've been doing some installs as my fingers have been freezing off!

As for front/rear axle sliders - still contemplating whether or not I should go through with them. Front - no issues - since i'm using a triple stand, but the rear is a single swingarm stand - so I'll have to take the rear sliders off every time i put her on a stand...

Brakes - good for now. As I start getting more into the bike, I'll be sure to look into this.

Rear hugger... Definitely on my to-do list. Radiator and Oil cooler guards - also on my to-do list... Seen Cox Racing, Evotech - they all seem like good options.

I also noticed that you're in DC! Not too far from where I am... I also visit Bethesda to see my friends once in a while. If you're ever in this area, let me know! Weather's starting to turn around for sure!!! Hope to get some riding buddies - since none of my friends are into bikes :/
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0