View Single Post
      01-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #405
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Thinking of getting a power meter for my Trek. Pedal based from Garmin which was recommended by the owner of my Bike shop. One leg for now, will add other leg in the spring. I am training for Senior Olympics next year. I won all 3 gold medals in our state in 2014 but could not go to Nationals. I have been using a HR monitor for years but there can be a lot of variables which can effect my performance. A power meter monitors power and the numbers are absolute which make it a better training tool than a HR monitor from what my bike shop and articles I have read claim. I will be 73 next month and plan to purchase it before I leave for Florida in a month for 2 months. That is when I begin serious training as I can ride a lot more. What are your thoughts on this.
Well done on your results! A power meter is incredibly useful, when used properly and with so many options out there they're incredibly accessible now. I'm not a natural at endurance sports/cycling so it's been a really good tool for me to quantify real time efforts and train properly with quality. You already know why training with HR independently can be flawed, too many variables environmental/physiological. Learn how to use the data and it will certainly unlock a lot of ability. Do your research, talk to a coaching buddy for advice, you'll find it to be an incredibly efficient tool.

I will mention though, when not in real race training or intensity, I do unplug. Becoming a slave to the power meter all year round is no fun!