06-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Awesome reviews and feedback, I rarely see F30's at the track so it's refreshing to read this. While not the same car, my S4 is likewise a fat pig and the tires get scrubbed pretty hard while trying to get it around the corners. I definitely know that no tracks are created equal, but I took my PSS out to gingerman raceway, which is pretty nasty on tires/brakes. I got tons of sidewall wear, but no chunking like you are seeing. So I agree that you are probably overdriving and/or taking a line you are used to from a different car? But I too felt that the PSS were greasy about mid session, with hot pressure at 40 psi. For reference I ran 255/35R19 PSS on 19x9.5 wheels, which is a pretty decent stretch.

I decided to switch to a dedicated track set and have 2 DE's on some Dunlap Direzza ZII's, which are MUCH better than the PSS over the entire course of the session. They held up to some pretty hot/humid conditions at mid-ohio this past weekend. They are pretty cheap since the new ZII SS is coming out, so tirerack has ZII's on fire sale.

Regarding the brakes, I'm a carbotech xp20 guy myself, but the pagid's are just as well respected from everything I've heard/read. The F30 comes with a nice 4 piston fixed caliper, so I wonder about the benefits of a BBK. Would it be possible to run a proper set of 2-piece properly veined rotors? Something like Girodisc or Stoptech aero rotors? Everything I've read says that the stock blanks are not directionally veined, which obviously makes a HUGE difference in heat dissipation. From this link it would appear that FL/FR rotors have the same part number, implying they are not veined properly. I personally don't see how going to a large rotor without switching proportioning is a good thing. You'll push the bias forward and ultimately reduce the overall stopping performance (you could argue this is marginal of course).
Thanks for all the good feedback! At this point the F30 340mm brakes with ss lines, higher temp fluid and Pagids are adequate. I still have to take the car to Road Atlanta, where I expect to hit 145-150 mph on the backstraight before melting the brakes to take a 90º left turn... I'll see how they will perform.
I have also thought about mounting a set of track tires on my stock 18" rims.

You are also right about overdriving/coming from another car: the previous times I was at Barber, I used a naturally aspirated 911 and it obviously behaves very differently during turn in and corner exit, so I had to 'unlearn' my line and reference points (which was done by the time I finished to destroy my PSS and put the stock wheels back on the car for the second day ).

Would you by any chance post about your track experience with the S4 on an Audi forum? I have had a B8 S4 myself and am always interested to learn what others have done with it.