View Single Post
      07-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

Thank you all for feedback.

I definitely plan to JB4 tune it. I think i'll be happy with a stage 1 tune. Wont be modding past a tune maybe m perf. exhaust.

I felt the manual G was always asking and daring you to punch it after downshifting it when high in the rev range.

If jb4 brings the 328 to similar power levels on the street as g37 ( i know on paper tuned 328 is a direct match with a g37 ) or slight less I'm ok with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligible View Post
I went from a 2009 G37S 6MT and now have an F30 328i 6MT. So the exact case you are asking about.

To put it bluntly, I thought that the G's transmission was garbage. The drivetrain had so much slop in it. Whining gears, notchy shifting, banging, grinding, unpredictable clutch... I could never drive that car smoothly and hated it so much I got rid of it with less than 10k miles. That was painful.

On the other hand, the F30 feels much better. The clutch action is smooth and linear. And while the shift action is slightly longer than the G, it feels more substantial. The drivetrain feels tight and refined - no massive banging of the transmission when disengaging the clutch under load. It is just way better to live with by a country mile.

In terms of the engine, power wise I don't think there is a ton of difference. More power / less torque vs. less power / more torque. The power deficiency can be somewhat rectified with a JB. However where you will definitely notice a difference is the sound. The N20 sounds like a bucket of bolts, and the exhaust note of the G gives me goosebumps. You'll have to determine if that matters to you.
How is the driving experience G37 6mt and 328 6mt? twisties and control, driving experience overall in the city and when the inner Chris Harris wakes up within you? I know this is all subjective, just want extra opinions.

Thanks all

Roman
Appreciate 0