11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #70
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtheted View Post
Has anyone fitted Michelin's SUV Cross Climate tyres 235/50/18w they are 5mm wider each side but the correct circumference I'm not sure why Michelin haven't made the 225 ver. yet. I fitted a pair onto the front driving wheels of my van they are terrific they are grippy as anything, quiet, look great and ware is looking good so far I can recommend them❓
Not a good idea to mix different types of tyre, such as summer/winter/all-season because they all have differing handling characteristics. Also, I think you will find the tyre manufacturers always advise fitting just two new tyres on the rear axle, regardless of whether you have front or rear wheel drive, as that would, presumably, avoid potentially dangerous oversteer situations. It is also possible that fitting a mix of tyre types between front/rear, in the event of an accident, could invalidate the vehicle's insurance. Search on the tyre manufacturers websites for additional info. Personally, I would not take a chance on anything that is safety related.
Here's what the UK Automobile Association have to say on the subject:
'Check your handbook first but if it doesn’t give any specific advice then, whether your car’s front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive the best/newest tyres should be on the back.
Making sure you have your best tyres on the back will favour ‘understeer’ rather than ‘oversteer’ when grip is limited such as in very wet or cold conditions.
Understeer – the car tends to go straight on even though you’re turning the wheel.
Oversteer – the back end breaks free and the car is likely to spin.
Tyres with deeper tread grooves are less likely to puncture too and it's more difficult to control a car with a damaged rear tyre than one with a damaged front tyre.'
Appreciate 0