03-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #41
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
I get your point about not messing with a new car, but even new cars are driven by dealership employees, transported on open carriers, etc. Still best to do a fine detail job, including clay bar if necessary, before applying wax or ceramic coatings. I believe quality auto clay is 100% non-abrasive. At least that is what I've seen advertised...
Why is there such controversy here? Clay is not applied by itself, but with soapy water (at the very least) or a quick detailer substance to make the paint as slick as possible. The possibility of actually damaging the paint with clay is nil when doing it right. The whole purpose of clay is to prepare the paint for polishing and or topping (wax, sealant, etc). In order to do that, clay strips the paint of a lot of the elements that embed in paint and things like waxes. So you are not supposed to leave the car with just a clay. If you introduce a superficial/light scratch to the clear coat, you're in a perfect position to polish it out afterwards.

Would I do it to a new car? Depends on how long the car has been sitting outside and/or driven. If the paint looks and feels rough, claying the car will only improve things. The idea that you're going to damage the paint on a new car if you decide to clay it is ludicrous, IMO.
Appreciate 2