03-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #22
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icDDS View Post
The M3 was only great when it didn't have to deal with the Skyline. Now it has to, and it absolutely getting crushed by the GT-R in any race. What is the M3 for then? Its now a GT car since it is getting its ass handed to it on the track? The GT-R is also way faster than just about any Italian sports car except for the super exotics. I am not wrong about the M3, compared to the GT-R it is a poseur vehicle. The old E46 M3, which is my favorite, was a car that had no competitors at its price. Now, the RS4 gives the M3 a huge run for its money and so does the C63. Everyone has upped their game because of the E46, to the point where even if the M3 is better, its lead is extremely small. Then comparing it to the GT-R, and it is just laughable. My opinion, and you can feel free to disagree. I just think the M3 has vastly overpriced itself and with competition from within, (the 335 with a chip is just as fast and good on the street) the M3 to me isn't that great. I have a E46 330i and never thought it would come close to a M3 unless I spent a whole ton of money. I don't remember when the E46 M3 ever had problems selling when it came out, yet right now the E92 M3 can be found at any BMW dealership.

Also, think about it this way. The performance that you can NOW have with the GT-R will take the M3 at least 2-3 MORE generations to meet. To me, that is absolutely shocking, telling you just how far ahead the GT-R is. 2-3 generations is around 14-21 years in BMW terms, so you can either wait that long for the M3 to do what the GT-R is doing now, or just get the better car. I feel like the M3 is poseur because even though it has track capabilities, how many M3 owners will actually take their car to the track? The truth is, VERY few. But the percentage of GT-R owners who do track their cars will be much much higher.
You are still comparing two cars that really do not compete. Sure they are close in price but since when has a Corvette, that will outperform an M3, and has always been priced less, be considered a real competitor to the M3? The same argument is true about the GT-R. The GT-Rs main competitors are the Z06 and 997TT.

Calling the M3 a poseur vehicle is simply outright drivel. Since when does the existence of a faster vehicle at a slightly higher price make any one vehicle a poseur vehicle? What nonsene. Again did past Vettes make the E46 M3 a poseur vehicle? This argument can be made nearly ad infinitum by having a superchanged mustang or camaro well track prepped and such cars can as well embarass many cars costing 2-3 times as much.

I agree with you that Lexus, Audi and MB have upped their games but BMW has not been sleeping. Except for few early "headline" oriented tests the M3 consistently bests all of the competitors from all of these brands. In other tests the M3 bested even the GT3 and R8 and even the holy GT-R in terms of either all around sports car or simply having a much better fun factor.

Your arguments about the chipped 335i are quite stale and ineffective as well. If all you want is a drag car why waste your money on a 335i+chip, see comments above about a supercharged camaro or mustang. The M3 is an absolute all arounder built to be an achiever in all use scenarios while excelling in the twisties, both for track times and fun factor. All the while delivering a superior build quality, european style and great longevity.

On your point about M3s being found at every dealership you are right. BMW requires dealerships to maintain a demo car. And if you did not notice, just as was the case with your beloved E46 M3, E9X M3s are flying off the lots in car crazy areas like CA, NY, FL, etc for well over sticker. Why, becuase the M brand is simply worth it to many folks.

Finally I think the percentages of folks who will track their GT-Rs is very close to the percent that will track their M3s. In general these cars both are (will be) bought for street cred, status, prestige, etc. Sure many of the buyers appreciate and will use some of their speed but most will never touch the ultimate potential of either car, track or street.

Look there is no denying that the GT-R is an incredible car. It is an absolute price to performance champion, hands down. Just because it is faster than the M3 it does not "ruin" the M3. Well if it does for you personally I guess you can feel that way but it is not universal nor fact.

Keep the misinformation and poor arguments coming... You are going to find a much more receptive audience on Nissan forums.
Appreciate 0