03-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I know there are threads about the GTR v M3. But I am more asking for advice as it relates to me and my situation.

I am looking at the M3 with many options say it's $71K plus tax. I can trim off maybe $3K say a low price ~$68K plus tax. Mainly it's up for me do decide if I should get the M-DCT or the 6MT

I have shopped for the GTR and a few dealers wanted $95K (ish) but I have one that's willing to go +$5K over msrp so that's around $77K (ish).

I know there are people that won't pay over msrp but leave that aside just look at the results $71K M3 (with DCT) v $77K GTR

The GTR includes everything that is optional on the M3 such as navi, active shocks, premium sound, bluetooth, DCT etc..

So I look at the price difference just ~ $7K or $8K more for a GTR.

For which the GTR has more power/speed, AWD, more rare, maybe more street cred (?).

what am I looking for?

I like speed/power and I like to have a car that's somewhat looked at as status but not too much (I mean not like an Aston) although that's not to say I don't like Aston/Ferrari etc.. but I don't want the image of being rich-ie rich so a middle car around $75K +/- is what I am looking for.

I don't race on the street or on the track. I like quick and feeling of power but it's for my own enjoyment. In other words if I get a GTR I'm not going to looking for Z06s or Ford GTs to test it against. If I do go fast it's just for what I am feeling of accleleration and maybe a M3 feels quick (in isolation) I mean it's not like I'll feel bad knowing I don't have a car that can run door to door with a Z06.

I mean when I'm driving, if I want to dust off a car, I like some power just to go. But I don't mean I'm looking for the fastest car in the world. Specifically I have lived with a S2000 for almost 6 years. I would like some more pep than it has but I didn't upgrade to a Z06 for example b/c that aspect is not my main concern.

While I like the awd of the GTR, I think that' my biggest area of what I may like it's not like I am only looking for an awd car. I have other cars to drive in the snow so the awd would mainly be a tool to make the GTR more east to drive (more secure), but I don't think awd is magic like I know if you go past the limits with either car you can go off road.

I don't really push 9/10th any way. I mean even with my S2000, I don't drive as fast as the car is able. So it's just I like brisk back-roads and some quick accelerations but not racing.

Why you may ask don't I save so much and just get a 335i or such? Well I am a car nut. I always want the higher cars but have not got one yet. I am always too cheap. This time I want to go long and I don't plan to buy a lot of fancy cars in my life. I mean perhapse the M3 or GTR would be my best car ever. So I don't want to cheap out time after time.

So my question is the GTR sooo much better than the M3? Or is it a matter of preference? I mean if not actually racing will the M3 be as fun? Will the M3 be more luxurious or better built?

Do people think only one way or can you see being torn trying to decide if the price difference is less than $10K.

thanks.
What a dilemma!!!....two fantastic cars!
However im not sure what your priorities are.....The two cars you are contemplating are performance vehicles that truly cater to the driving enthusiasts.....sure you can use these cars as everyday drivers...trips to the mall or a leisure Sunday drive....but the true characteristics of the car comes out when pushed to the limits. the cars are riddled with technology to enhance the driving experience when pushed.
In your own words, you "dont push 9/10th anyway"
"....street cred"
....."..I like to have a car that's somewhat looked at as status"

so taking those statements into consideration...i believe what truly is important to you is image and how you look in a car....
Why not look at Mercedes Benz....perhaps a Porsche Caymen S....im not being critical or insulting...i just tried to decipher what you truly are looking for based on what you stated above.....
cheers, Shiggy
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0