View Single Post
      11-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Finally Drove an S3 - Quick Review

Had some time to kill on Friday and my Audi dealer buddy had an S3 in stock so I went over to take it for a spin. Let me preface this by saying I did NOT really get on it as it hadn't been broken in properly, there's no way I am going to buy one now (maybe after the 235 lease is up) and I was there more to talk to him about an A3 for my mother. So I took it for a spirited but relatively calm test drive. Let me also state, for the record, that both the S3 and M235 are very nice cars but since we have the luxury of choosing between the two might as well give my honest opinion.

First of all if you need 4 doors for getting the kids in and out of the back or whatever it's a nice enough looking small sedan. I'd probably opt for one over a 3-series just due to size. It looks very small from the outside but I had a 6'2" friend in the back and he was reasonably comfortable, so the cabin space is more than adequate for what it is. Much better than the CLA. The interior styling was VERY spartan, although the screen retracting into the dash is a nice touch. The seats were hideous (black w/ red inserts) but otherwise very comfortable, although I do like ours better. That said I am 5'7" and 160 lbs so I am far from stretching the limits of any sport seats. Rear head room was good since the glass roof retracts on top of the rear section of the roof and does not slip inside as is typical. I did like the flat bottom wheel quite a bit, had a nice feel to it.

Styling - car was red with black and red leather, a little flashy for my tastes. I'd probably opt for grey with black leather (which I have on my 235) and the car would be a nice looking car but a little plain. Again, think S3 is a bit on the boring side, CLA is too vulgar for my tastes, so the 235 in the middle is just right.

Handling - the car is quick, no doubt about it, but feels a bit slower than I would have expected. The fake Quattro FWD-biased Haldex system is the real weak point. The car seemed very front heavy and like the back end could step out if I really got on it. I'd like to take it on a more aggressive test drive, but it felt a bit sluggish in normal drive mode, front heavy, and not firmly planted. None of which I expected from my previous Audi experience.

So long story short I like the car and would seriously consider it if I really needed 4 doors or my only options were S3 or CLA AMG. I do like our car a lot better.

Right after the test drive I threw the dealer the keys to my 235. He hopped in, asked if the engine was warm, and I put him in sport mode and told him to get after it. Same route we took with the S3, car was faster, more firmly planted, he got through the rev range much quicker and was very impressed overall. Said it was one of the best handling cars he's driven in recent memory and if it were his money he'd do a 235 over an S3 for sure. We also then discussed the fact that buying is about even, but that he can't really understand why anyone would pay $150 or more extra each month to drive his car (Audi leases suck).

All in all it was a fun afternoon. Also checked out a white RS7 they had in stock. Damn. I need to make more money, or at least allocate more of it to cars. That was one of the sexier cars I have seen in a LONG time and I don't even like white.
Appreciate 0