View Single Post
      11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #150
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Are you guys setting up a separate network for just your cameras? I would not want those camera bogging down my main internet connected network.

Also I like the idea of a complete system like Lorex that has everything committed to a single box (although I would like 2 drives with redundancy) and I would think reliability would be a lot better for power outages or things of the sort where everything gets reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a 9 camera system and even with two professionals working from home, I see zero end-user impact.
I second what P1et said. With the cameras wired, even the lowliest consumer grade switch will be able to keep up with the network load. If you're doing things wirelessly, it gets more complicated and you can see an impact.

But with my system, I do have the IP camera system isolated from other parts of my network. It's not because it was necessary. It's because I can and have the expertise to do so. The IP camera system is on a specific VLAN. It allows me the ability to set firewall policies to control traffic flow. Again, this would be overkill for any home user, and I do this because I can and am extensive experience as a network engineer.
Appreciate 1
P111554.00