lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSdriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
With eTIS (electronic Tire Information System), adaptation of the transfer case is easily accomplished in minutes, via diagnostic tools and/or iDrive, allowing for more flexibility in tire fitment.
I hadn't heard about eTIS.
When the transfer case in my car broke down I remember the dealer techs ranting about difference in circumference front to rear needing to be less than one percent (which after they checked wasn't the problem on my car, TC broke for no apparent reason).
I was browsing the BMW catalog and found several oem tire combo's that are close or in excess of 1% difference, so nothing new apparently, just my ignorance. Curious to know how that system works, will have read up on that
It's a fairly simple system if understood correctly and not approached in the same way as previous TPMS systems.

RDCi (in BMW parlance) has evolved since its intro with the G11/2 7er. Starting with Gxx 5er and added to all models introduced since, an electronic tire data menu (size, load index, and use conditions) was added to iDrive. Both automatic (pre-loaded tire data) and manual (User entered tire data) are present. With the introduction of ID7, the capabilities have been further increased including, but not limited to, temperature compensation for pressure info and Automatic Tire data upload via QR scan.

If the tire data is not yet stored or QR upload is not done, manual mode has a "special use" sub menu. After the data is manually input for the rear axle, a 17 minute calibration drive is required to finish initializing the system. On xDrive vehicles, the transfer case is inhibited during this time to analyze any speed difference between the front and rear axles.
Appreciate 1
MPSdriver192.00