View Single Post
      10-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #21
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
A close friend of mine has a 2007 328xi. It is probably the least reliable car I have ever seen, and strands her on average once every couple of months. Every 3 months or so the car requires a $1000+ fix.

It has 130k miles on it, but this has been going on since about 60k.

In the last year the car has cost her an additional $6k in maintenance and repairs, getting everything done at an indy shop that hooks me up on pricing:

front wheel bearings failed
Water pump failed
IBS battery cable failed and stranded her 4+ times before the dealer fixed it
Power steering pump failed
front bushings worn out and needed to be replaced
fuel pump failed
new front brake pads and rotors
new belts
cracked valve cover gasket
oil filter gasket leak

The car has $5k left before payoff, I am guessing it is worth 8k due to cosmetic issues.

She likes how the car drives, but it is getting to be an emotional problem (not having a reliable car, she keeps getting stranded) and a financial problem.

What else can possibly go on this thing? I am guessing water pump will die again at some point, and she will need rear wheel bearings eventually. What about suspension rebuild? I keep telling her that everything has died that already can, but the car always seems to prove me wrong.

A new Audi A3 is like $350 a month to lease.....

What would you do?
Your thread doesn't make sense. Why would anyone pump in excess of $20,000 in less than 5 years to any car and continue to keep it. That's insane!
Appreciate 0