03-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #63
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
For those that have a spare wheel (but not full BMW kit), is it possible to secure the spare down with just the wing screw (part # 07119908728), cover (part # 36106857383) and bracket (part # 36106857382) without the styrofoam insert?

I have the spare wheel, tire and jack already.

Can anyone confirm that the cover, wing screw and bracket can lock down the wheel without the styrofoam insert piece?

Much appreciated.
Assuming the Stateside temporary spare wheel is the same as on my UK spec car, I'm not so sure. The cover part, when tied down with the wing screw, sits within an inner recessed circumference of the styrofoam insert and I wonder whether that affords additional 'pressure' (for want of a better word) on the wheel, thus spreading the retention area across the boot/trunk floor. It might just work without it, but it could be that the cover and bolt alone may not be enough. I have nothing in the styrofoam part, all the jacking kit being within the separate styrofoam 'block' that sits to the left side of the spare wheel. I wonder whether BMW would bother to provide the styrofoam insert if it wasn't really needed.
Appreciate 0