03-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #62
JB426
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
For those that have a spare wheel (but not full BMW kit), is it possible to secure the spare down with just the wing screw (part # 07119908728), cover (part # 36106857383) and bracket (part # 36106857382) without the styrofoam insert?

I have the spare wheel, tire and jack already.

Can anyone confirm that the cover, wing screw and bracket can lock down the wheel without the styrofoam insert piece?

Much appreciated.
I would think it would work. The nut underneath the liner is there and lines up approximately in the center of the wheel hub. The issue you could have is there is a limited amount the wing bolt can screw in, maybe 3/4 - 1 inch, so you need something that will secure the bolt from the washer just slightly below the middle of the hub. The cover may go down too far without the foam insert. I made my own bracket but I might get this since it will work with a small spacer or additional washers underneath the wing bolt. I tested it with one from an M3.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...on=71151180625

On another note, my X1 did not have the nut under the liner for the bolt that would secure the jack, to the left of the spare tire. The wing bolt nut and bracket nuts are there.
Appreciate 0