02-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #59
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Keep in mind that a spare tyre is useful even if you have runflat tyres. There will be those times that when you get a flat with a runflat that it may pay to be able to stop and change over to the spare. As long as you have not driven on your runflat in a dead flat condition for any distance (generally more than 5-10km), you can repair the runflat subject to the same rules that apply to a puncture in a conventional tyre. Could save you the cost of replacing a runflat when you have a puncture.

Tony
Interesting, I posted a thread asking people on their experiences getting run flat tyres repaired. I have only had a couple of replies so far (thanks ttimbo) but I have now asked all the main tyre repair companies in my area (as well as phoning national chains).
My conclusion from their replies is that, in the U.K., nearly all refuse point blank to repair a runflat regardless of whether it has been driven on or not. Only one national chain said they would repair dependent on manufacturer recommendation (e.g. no if Pirelli, once if Michelin) and type and location of damage.

In brief, imho, it is almost pointless to have a spare if you use run-flats in the U.K. Precisely because you will not save money by quickly removing it to reduce damage. In Australia, where you could be miles out in the bush, yes, it could save your life. In the U.K.( or most of Western Europe) you are rarely more than 20 miles from a garage.

I have instead of a spare tyre in the boot, got; a rubber/string tyre repair kit, pair of pliers to remove culprit, an electric tyre inflator and some tyre sealant. if the tyre does develop a puncture and I have some distance to drive it should help keep the tyre to correct pressure. If I am lucky and the patch holds (assuming it is in middle of tread), I will save money by continuing to use the tyre. Possibly reckless? maybe but I check my tyres very regularly for pressure, damage and wear. When the runflats need replacing I will go for ordinary tyres and a skimpy spare. The hart4bmw set-up will do nicely, and thanks to others for bag & mat recommendations.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-23-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0