View Single Post
      09-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #52
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
The claim that RFTs puncture more easily than non-RFTs is an urban myth. There's no evidence to support the claims, other than simple, " bad luck" anecdotes. The weight difference is pretty minimal, eg, for the Pirelli P7 fitted to many X1s, the RFT is c.13kg, and the non-RFT is a tad less than 12kg. Other brands are similar.

That said, I have invested in a spare wheel kit simply because in Australia and with the driving I do, there's a higher risk I may be somewhere remote when I have a puncture. Or have to rely on driving maybe 100 km or more on the punctured RFT.
According to the tire mfgs technical info here (might be more conservative due to high rate of litigation?)...you can only run a RFT with no air for 50 miles!...That's not gonna do you much if you're way out in the boonies on a Sunday afternoon...even BMW Assist isn't gonna save your bacon...you'll wait hours for a tow to nearest dealer (we have whole states with NO BMW dealers!) and then you'll sit in a motel till Monday to get the problem resolved. When I read about the 50 mile restriction..bought a jack and compact spare for my 328 within weeks of buying the car! Best $350 i ever spent...got a puncture up in the mountains about 75+ miles to nearest city and 160 miles or so from home...on a Sunday afternoon...sure glad I had the spare to run down to nearest tire shop open...since I hadn't driven on the tire (they won't fix RFT's that have been driven flat due to the 50 mile restriction from the mfgs...liability issues)..I got the tire fixed and rebalanced in about 20 min or so..for $20 and drove on home!
Appreciate 0