View Single Post
      08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #46
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

[QUOTE=

That said, I have invested in a spare wheel kit simply because in Australia and with the driving I do, there's a higher risk I may be somewhere remote when I have a puncture. Or have to rely on driving maybe 100 km or more on the punctured RFT.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!...the dirty little secret on RFT's is that the tire makers all say "DO NOT travel more than 50 miles (80.47 Km) without air pressure in the tire!"
That's great if you're retired to a tropical island where you're never far from your garage...not so good if you are 150-200 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon! I bought a spare/jack kit for my 328 just instantly on reading that warning...and believe it or not...got a puncture up in the Sierra foothills on a Sunday afternoon on our very first out of town trip! Hit the "BMW Assist" button and they called me by name and gave me my exact location....told me they could "arrange a tow to the nearest BMW dealer....who would fix my problem tomorrow morning"....I laughed and told em wife and I had to be at work a 3 hour drive away and that I had my spare on already! Drove down to "civilization" and found a tire shop open. The other "feature" of RFT's is that if you run on em...they won't patch em since there's no way to know if you've gone over the 50 range....Since I had a spare on...tire was patched and rebalanced and we drove home...for $20 and a 1/2 wait.
Appreciate 0