9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Hey Vett, thanks for sharing your insight. I'll try to address responses in bullet points and have some questions for you as well.

1.When paying your staff an average of previous wages, are you calculating this on a full year basis or seasonal basis and selected a particular quarter?

2.Since only 1 of her 2 offices applied for PPP, and she has 1.5 days a week at this office, the answer is yes, unemployment (with the extra $600 weekly) will pay more than her 1.5 days at this office. Unfortunately the 1.5 days of pay is enough to disqualify her for unemployment in NY State as well as a result. If both her offices 're-opened' with PPP funds, then that amount would be greater than collecting UI.

3.For your colleague’s office – the staff that chose to remain on UI rather than return to work, were they actually able to continue receiving UI benefits? If suitable work has been offered to them and they declined, I wonder if their UI benefits were jeopardized as a result.

4.Now in terms of returning to work, the dental office is asking that they work remotely for the next 8 weeks (attend some B.S. webinars and coursework to constitute ‘work’). The manager did send out a vague email just now asking staff to physically go into the office to clean it up and other administrative duties (not seeing patients till July however, at the earliest). However the staff will most likely push back as NY is still under closure orders, and commuting to the office means taking public transportation.

Right now, i think our only option really is to accept the offer to return to work for this one office. We will be losing out on some money but thankfully it is not an amount that will make or break us. More concerning however to us is how the office is handling the specifics of the PPP, as they seem to be deviating from what other business owners have been doing.
To answer your first question, my accountant calculated the staff's wages based on 2019 total wages plus pension plan and health. Also my son has worked with me for 10 years, and as officers or our corporation, he and I are both entitled to a prorated salary of 100K.
For the third question in regards to my colleague with the employees that refused to return to work, I guess if he notified EDD that they were given the opportunity to work and refused, they could lose their unemployment benefits but then he would probably lose them as employees for tattling.
In the Bay Area, we have not been given the official ok to reopen. Some dental offices are starting up but are opening themselves up to great liability not only if Covid is spread from the dental office, but for any claim not even related to Covid. Any type of malpractice claim would be indefensible because the dentist was not supposed to be practicing dentistry at that time. As of last weekend, 22 states have allowed dentists to reopen. California and NY will be among the last. I heard a report that the 4 most dangerous occupations in regards to Covid were 1) Dental hygienists, 2) Respiratory therapists, 3) Dentists, 4) Dental assistants.
Wish you and your wife the best of luck. Stay healthy.
Thanks for sharing your insight, greatly appreciated. and yes I overheard the same thing from a webinar as my wife does her CE credits. It's going to be a scary world the dental professions are returning to. Stay safe and healthy.
Appreciate 0