Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I don't think that's it. Rather, I believe BMW is going through a transitional phase with their engines, and the higher output I4s simply aren't ready yet. SCOTT suggests a hotter B48 is coming:

"Since the two new Xs use transverse engines, there will be no traditional in-line six cylinders, although sources also say BMW is developing a powerful new direct-injection 2.0-liter turbo four producing around 300 hp, part of its new B48 engine family."

http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=962530

I suspect that, as the I6 offerings move to the B58 and transition to the 40i moniker, the 35i badge will be handed over for use on future ~300hp I4 models. So a new X1 35i is still a safe bet, perhaps for the LCI, or perhaps even sooner.
The new X1 will not receive the proper M Division treatment but an M Performance variant or iS is being discussed but it will be a four cylinder model and only with xDrive.
They have started preliminary development at Garching on the next generation X3 and X4 which for the first time we will see an X3 M and X4 M as well as two M Performance models offering petrol and diesel Options to their respective markets.
Looks like a X4 M is in my sight now... Thanks Scott for the info, now I can start planning for my next project. Will be adding an I3 with an X4 M in the stable over the next couple of years...
Appreciate 0