View Single Post
      06-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #159
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
I've been going through the photos and tech specs, and everywhere I look, I see something other than a BMW.
The seats are different, the speakers are different, even the shape of the armrest is different. I have never seen this stark difference between new-gen releases of BMW's.
The "28i" engine moniker no longer means what it meant (even though it was never a good fit) because it's a downsize. The japanese transmission - again, yes it's an 8-speed so salesmen in the showroom can still tell the customer they are getting an 8-speed just like in an X5.
Everything here screams "parts bin", BMW shopped around to find replacement parts with the same numerical qualities as on the larger models -- except for cheap.

What we have here then is really a KIA.

This is exactly what Kia has been doing against BMW for years. Not saying they are bad cars because they are actually very good. But they are copies of BMW's --- and that's what happened here: BMW COPIED ITSELF.
The Active Tourer and Gran Tourer offer similar ambience that is featured on the X1 which is typical of BMW adapting to the market. The thinner seat backs increase passenger room especially in the rear a feature many Active Tourer customers are very happy in regards to fulfilling flexibility needs.