03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryze View Post
Mine is from 09/2016, and even though I got it a few weeks ago as it was a former lease car I still am under the free update period, valid until 08/2019.

If what you're saying ends up being true, it's seriously f-ed up.

They did reply that I would get an update in June, a couple months before the end of my free period, which may be their way to push the last route maps update before the end of the free period and also avoid some well justified anger.

In any case, for the future, I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade the HU to entrynav2 or an evo. If it's a matter of purchasing the HU and doing some coding I could be able to do it myself. I've seen at least one video on youtube of a company called Elebest doing an evo ID6 retrofit on an X1.

But I'm still very ignorant on many details of the process, there's not that much information for the X1. Or I just haven't found it yet.
Yes, I am genuinely sorry earlier build X1 owners have been so badly treated by BMW regarding map updates. Let us hope “Europe route 2019-2” is issued in June

With regard to updating your Head Unit the simple answer is that it is possible and if you were to do this, it would probably be better to go for an NBTevo HU from different model (if only because coding and adding options such as CarPlay is possible/easier).

The bigger question is whether it is easy or cheap to do such an upgrade and in my view the answer is no. Reading through a number of forums, it is clear to me that these upgrades are complicated and require a lot of expertise/tools. So it is not an easy D.I.Y job. Such a major retrofit would also affect the resale value of your car because dealers would probably not support any problems. I suggest you start searching through bimmerpost or bimmerfest threads on such upgrades before making a decision, so I advise caution.

I will keep my finger crossed all you good people get the new “route 2019-2” mapping in a few weeks time.
Appreciate 0