View Single Post
      01-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #16
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Agreed. Seems like there's some reductionism afoot, to split people into "nice people" and "assholes." Makes it easier to heap scorn on the assholes.
exactly, I always feel like people are a lot more complicated than how these sorts of articles or studies try to frame them.

There are all kinds of bad assumptions people make about driving behavior when they don't consider things beyond the surface level.

For example, it seems to be a really common and unfortunate meme that you don't want to give people notice too far in advance of your intent with a turn signal because then they'll just move into the gap you wanted to use. This is 1000% not my experience at least in my city, and usually the people who have this offense approach don't even try to see what happens if they give other people plenty of notice.

My experience is, most people would much rather know your intentions ahead of time, even better if you give them like 3-5 seconds to process it, so they are ready to give you right of way. What people in fact don't like, justifiably, is making sudden moves that take the right of way away from them, that block their view and the space in front of them before they're ready for it, and using your turn signal 250 milliseconds before you start your move is effectively the same as zero warning.

It might sound crazy to blink several times before you make your move, but once I started driving that way I found 90% of people responded very kindly, and the 10% that take advantage of that are just ignoramuses that are probably beyond help. I will take that trade all day long. You get what you put out.
Appreciate 1