09-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtra1 View Post
Hello, have read your info in upgrading screen from 6.5 to 8.8 and am looking to do the same. A few questions, did you use a brand new BMW sourced screen or a second hand unit from eBay or similar? Does replacement screen need to be same production year as vehicle it’s being installed in? Does the coding also upgrade things like map view to the better 3D type view of a factory fitted unit? Lastly, did you also change the drive control to the touch type?
Many thanks, Clive
Hi
I sourced my screen second hand through eBay. I made sure the screen was correct part number for build date. The screen I bought was actually a few months newer than the car but I also bought a touch controller several months older than the car (as long as part number is correct for build date and model there is no problem with coding etc). Coding will allow you to set up features available for the larger screen size (such as split screen). What coding will not be able to do is code/enable features found on professional Nav , remember the Nav software remains business Nav on X1/X2 and in order to install professional Nav you would need fsc code from BMW and possible larger memory/storage. In brief, coding allows you to enable some software features on your car which have not been factory enabled (possibly because it is a cost option or country specific).
I did change my iDrive controller to touch but it is not necessary. I did it because I wanted to change my 6UN to full 6UP option but I actually do not use the controller. In UK With right hand drive and me being right handed it is very difficult to use. If you do want to make change remember you will also need touch control unit (language specific) and a y-splitter cable so you can piggy back on touch controller connector (the factory fit control unit is fitted near door pillar.

Last edited by MJE60; 10-14-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0