02-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #252
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Such as what? The only thing that X1 might lack is semi--autonomous driving, but I wouldn't call this a "safety option" anyways. Model year 2019 X1 get most safety features as standard, while the others such as lane keep assist can be ordered as an option in most markets.
Yes, the F48 has multiple airbags, good crumble zones, abs and stability control so the basics are all covered for a modern prestige brand car.

Where the X1 does fall short, is in the fact BMW use cheaper versions of a number of components/systems and disguise the fact by using similar terminology. Examples include Xdrive, on the X1 which is essentially a front wheel drive car, the system uses part-time rear wheel drive, it is not as good as systems in the other x models which are essentially rear wheel drive with on demand front wheel drive. Other example include driving assist versus driver assist. On most BMW models the frontal collision systems use radar and/or two KAFAS cameras whereas the X1 only has the single camera.The X1 was the only model to fail a recent safety test on pedestrian avoidance carried out in the USA (bottom of class compared to 11 other brands). The X1 has no proper lane change warning and it’s adaptive LED lighting (high beam assist) is a joke compared to more expensive models which use genuine beam/lens focusing and pattern change, In the x1, only the high beams move to follow steering and the high beam assist simply dips the headlights when detecting on-coming traffic and is not always reliable.
Agreed, many of these are driver aids rather than essential safety features but they are often “cheaper and poorer solutions ” than those found on many less prestige brands and on BMW premium models. Try the X1 ACC (adaptive cruise control, on a foggy day, or striving into the sun, or when snowing, or raining and it will often disengage because the single camera system cannot cope.

I like my X1, it is a great car but there is no denying BMW see it as an entry level vehicle which shares most parts with the Mini Countryman. It most definitely lacks some of the tech you would expect it to have and (BMW trick you into thinking it has) which other cheaper brands include as standard. People new to BMW cars will not necessarily see the X1 flaws whereas someone who has owned a more expensive BMW models will realise pretty quickly. Nevertheless, I hope all X1 owners get joy from their car, I know I do.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0