View Single Post
      01-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #147
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Video screens, door design/door handles and expensive body work, hardly examples of problems that wouldn't be expected in buying a car from a relatively new startup, all of them could be on the ICE also and my answer was to the general question of buying an electric vs an ICE. I wouldn't expect a major manufacturer to have any of the problems above and the drivetrain and major components to have fewer problems even as they build their first cars. Look at the number of systems and sensors that go into making the exhaust meet the required standards. O2 sensors, MAF, fuel pressure, PCV valves, catalytic converters, fueling systems to contain vapor, the list goes on and on and most of these systems are from from new and still cause troubles. Plug into a modern ICE to diagnose the check engine light and the possibilities for problems are massive.
And what seems to be glossed over is the fact that these cars are not trouble free even with the minimum number of mechanical components. You skipped over the fact that the failure of the flash memory of the Model S' main computer will prevent the car from even running. And why this is so is due to the massive amount of data logging they do. Which leads into another aspect that has been kicked around here but many people really don't take seriously but give lip service to which is your own privacy. It's comical to see complaints about how the evil Feds are able to gain access to various aspects of your life yet these same people are willing to hand over that access to the likes of Google, Apple, and now Tesla. Rich did a video on the massive amounts of captured video the car by default records. Do you think Elan is going to let that precious data go untapped?

And none of the proponents of Tesla has even addressed the repair situation. Your choice of repair shops is extremely limited along with access to factory parts. Rich was able to gain access to various manuals from Tesla because Massachusetts passed a law requiring auto manufacturers to share that data.
Appreciate 0