01-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #134
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
A large benefit is how few system parts there are on an electric. Transmission, emission system, exhaust, fuel system, intake system and all of the sensors that go along with it to run properly - a large part of them don't exist. Lots of negatives to an electric but the long term cost of maintenance and repair isn't one of them in my eyes. The battery is the only thing that concerns me.

As for the aftermarket making replacement parts, if there is a need and a market it will come. That's how the aftermarket works.
Yes, agree. I heard recently from credible source (career auto industry executive) that electric vehicles have something on the order of several dozen percent less cost to produce vs ICE cars. This is due to the above comments, plus the reduction of high cost labor. Autoworkers are among the highest paid hourly employees in the US. It's not right or wrong, just a fact. And businesses need to find ways to reduce their costs, and they will.

To me the business case for BEVs as viewed by automakers is too juicy to ignore.

The battery is technology bottleneck at the moment.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00