11-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #79
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
It doesn't matter what type, brand or size tire you use, TPMS is a part of your car and without the sensors in your wheels, that feature of course will not work. The TPMS sensors mount to the inside of the wheel, it does not have anything to do with the tire itself. You can change tires and leave the original TPMS sensors in the wheels. If you intend to buy new wheels, you can either leave the sensors on the old wheels, remove them and maybe you can use them on the new wheels but you may damage them when trying to remove them or you can buy new ones for the new wheels, you have choices.

That doesn't mean you have to have them because you don't but then just don't expect that feature to work. Your display will probably just give you an error if it cannot communicate with them. If you intend to remove them, removal all four.

Last time I bought new wheels and tires from Tire Rack, I bought the TPMS sensors they sell and they installed them when they installed the tires on the wheels so all I had to do when they arrived was jack up the car, remove the old wheels/tires and install the new ones. Then you go into iDrive, reset the TPMS and go for a ride and it will re-communicate with them. This way I had the sensors in my winter wheels and my summer wheels so I could easily change them in my garage and not have to take the car to a service station.

Personally, I like TPMS because I am not the only driver of the car and if someone runs over a nail, I'd like my sensors to tell whoever is driving the car if the air is leaking out of the tire. Well for that matter, I like it to tell me too

Thanks, Marty!

And what about tire width? I'm buying a new set of 19x8.5" wheels and I'm not sure if I should buy 245/40r19 or 255/40r19 tires. Both are a good fit, compared to 19" OEM wheels.

Any recommendations? Thanks
Attached Images