09-24-2022, 09:40 PM   #20
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Anyone who has anything to do with construction is slammed right now. Residential, commercial, industrial, you pick the industry. Add to the fact that they can barely keep up with their current workload due to a labor shortage. As a nation, we are building at a record pace and that pace is unsustainable given the current and predicted future economic environment. After an inevitable slowdown, it may be a little easier to nail someone down to a project, but who knows when that will be.

I hate to be a downer, but it's about the worst time ever to start a large scale, ground up residential dwelling.
It is exceptionally busy and has been for a couple of years. My firm is in the US southeast, we have multiple offices and the depth, variety, and quality of our workload and pipeline are unprecedented across all of them. Of course things will slow down but could be some time, at least in growing areas of the country.

Material shortages are still a concern. Escalation may have slowed a bit, but only just recently. We broadly saw 1.5% cost increases month over month for large scale projects most of the year. Clients that tried to value engineer to save cost ended up having a larger price increase and still have to make qualitative and quantitative changes to start their project. There are some materials out there that are coming with no firm price or schedule and include an undefined mandatory change order. I’ve practices for nearly 30 years and have not experienced anything like this.

If you want to make a project happen you will need to plan ahead six months to a year to start design with any strong firm. We do some residential but mostly only for our current commercial clients.

To the OP be patient and look for the right partner and be prepared to wait if you want to move on this sooner than later. Sounds counterintuitive I know. And all the solid advice on here regarding cost and durations is based on reality right now, for residential anyway unfortunately.

I hope everything turns out great for your project, even though the journey is likely to be bumpy.