09-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #15
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
This ^^^^

My wife and I bought property a couple years back and are about 18 months into working with an architect to design our house. I've been documenting the process here if you're interested: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1808634

I'd recommend against an out of state architect. You want someone who knows you're local codes and regulations.

Based on your budget for an architect I'm not surprised you're having problems finding one. Typically they charge 8% to 10% of the project budget for a fully custom home. It sounds like what you really need/want is someone to draw up some plans that you can then take to a structural engineer to get massaged, stamped, and then submit for permit. Can you find some boiler-plate plans online that you like and then have a local structural guy tweak them for your municipality? That should be a lot cheaper and easier than going through an architect. Your builder should be able to work with the structural engineer to help you make any tweaks you want to the plans.

if you have any questions about the process, fire away of feel free to DM me.
I skimmed your thread. What a ride. My question is if you feel that it's been worth it for all that work vs buying a built house?
Appreciate 0