View Single Post
      09-22-2022, 08:27 PM   #9
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Things work differently from state to state and all the firms I work with won't do anything that isn't high-rise commercial/residential unless you're willing to pay 500x the price.

Some tips that can help:

1) Find a structural engineer first and ask for a recommendation
2) Find a general contractor and ask for a recommendation
3) Drive by any development in progress and ask the foreman who the RA on the project is - you may run into a cunt but for the most part they shouldn't have a problem sharing

Here are design firms in Chattanooga:

https://www.surfacearch.com/
https://www.hkarchitects.net/

If you're going with any structure that isn't timber (steel, masonry, prolly not concrete but who knows) - I can help you on the structural side.
Right on, appreciate the detailed reply! Lol that's solid advice too. One of those that you mentioned has actually been my first choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
We had a house plan designer do it on autocad. I drew in the beam locations and the lumber supplier had the LVL dealer look it over. He beefed it up for CYA. The bank wanted the whole package but agreed to skip electrical plans since I was doing the entire electrical. They were adamant on having house elevations.
This was in a different county.
Interesting idea, but could work here too. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
whyzee125 what kind of structure are you thinking of? A garden shed or something grander?

Simple set of plans can be had on the internet. What is the reason for the architect?
I'm looking to build a small house (but not a tiny house) with a garage, efficient loft style interior, and a patio. I found exactly one design that exists that's perfect for my needs but the architect does not want to sell the plans and would rather design another one. I agreed but they wanted $25k to design a 700 square foot house which is absolutely insane. My parents paid $6k to have a house designed that's nearly 10 times that size. I would honestly pay $6k but not $25K, no way.
Appreciate 1
chassis6545.00