timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
I think the whole "Surreal Life" idea of this thread is hilarious because of the wildly different personalities and characters of the people mentioned. But since the topic of conversation has turned to something else, I wanted to add my two cents.

I think it is validly debatable on which type of crime is worse (violent attack of a single individual due to anger/rage VS manipulative and remorseless deception fueled solely by greed), obviously, depending on how you define worse. So I won't go there. But I did want to say that in general, white collar crime is not nearly, not even remotely as fairly punished as compared to other more "common types" of crime. And as we have seen in the last few years, people's complete disregard for proper ethical behaviour and sound judgement has caused a tremendous loss hurting many many people.

So I personally wouldn't call their transgressions miles apart. Moreover, what Martha did wasn't even remotely as bad as what people like Kozlowski, Ebbers, Skilling, and Scrushy. Now those guys in my book were just bad, bad, bad.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
I get the Theme (it's obvious). But just as there are leagues in sports, there are leagues in crime. "Crime is crime" is very simplistic. Martha and Tyson are miles apart in my book. There is a reason for the distinction between violent crimes and other types of crime.
Now if you understand the "theme", then your suggestion that Martha does not belong to this group is invalid. I've never said that what Martha did is just as horrendous as what Tyson did, I never said it's not either. What I'm saying is your argument of that Martha should not be included in this show because her crime was not that bad, is not an valid point, as the degree of the crime is not why all these people are selected. In addition, lets say because of what Martha did, her company's stock's value changed (in whichever way). And lets assume hypothetically that your brother invested his life saving into this company's stock, and due to the value change, he lost a lot of money. Money that he needs desperately. And because of this, he decided to take his own life. Now would you say your life is not dramatically effected because the little white collar crime martha conducted? Would you not view her just as bad of a person as Tyson?

Ok so that might be a big stretch, but the point is, when you commit a crime, there's usually a victim, and to that victim, you just might be the most horrible person in the world. So who are you to judge whether the crime someone committed is bad or not?

In addition, personally I believe everyone in this group did what they were accused of, convicted or not. Notice I didn't put Kobe in there, as I believe he's innocent!!!!
Appreciate 0