tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
It's a very frustrating system to use. I don't enjoy it.
I've driven a few different models that have it for extended periods of time, and my experience with it has been annoying at best. Things I expected to be able to do, weren't an option - maybe that's because a tech 'package' wasn't purchased to enable certain features (don't get me started). Why touch screens are not already in BMW's by now is beyond my comprehension - menu navigation via an encoder wheel is mind-numbly annoying. Is the framerate at least better in the newer versions?
It's fairly easy to understand why I don't want it: I don't like it and prefer simpler systems.

Do I want it to remember my seat positions according to what key I use? No - I want manual seats with levers that allow me to move the seat in 1/10th the time it takes for a bunch of heavy linear actuators to spin their grease filled shafts. I don't move my seats, and when I do I want them moved NOW. Electric seats are for older or lazy people who hardly want to move their own bodies to adjust their own comfort - for that demographic there is the 3, 5, 6 and 7 series. Manual seats are lighter and less expensive to manufacture.

My anti-tech attitude is not about having a screen or a lump in the dashboard. Excuse the rant, however I miss cars like the 300ZX and will dearly miss my N54 135i when (if) I let it go. I already miss my E36. I want a simple, powerful drivers car that's more refined than american cars, has a manual transmission, and the power goes to the back (BOTH wheels: LSD). I want to be part of a mechanical machine, not abstracted from it and an operator of buttons - I do that in my day job enough already. Isn't that what M is all about?
Agree with you 1000%. Manual trans and Manual seats for me. And the only thing I do not like on my new 228 is Idrive. No, it does not "Hide" but at least you can cut the display off so its no so destracting. My car 228I, Manual trans, Xenon lights, HK stero. Thats it
Appreciate 0