09-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP
This is quite a good article...even if it is from an American magazine - "Car and Driver"
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...-bmw-330d.html
It's a great article. It's been around for a while though as I read this before I ordered my 330i.

My 530d was 'just' the old 218 bhp one - even so it was a quick car and it really gave me an appreciation of the ability of the 3.0l diesels.

The key to me was the engagement part - the 330d is quick - even when you are being lazy. The 330i is very slightly quicker - but you have to put some effort in to experience it.

Plus the soundtrack is better in the 330i (although the diesel doesn not sound bad at all).

I wanted a manual gearbox - to get that engagement and I wanted petrol for the same reason.

Are these things worth the additional fuel cost? That's the big question. For me they are (at least for a bit), but if Alpina bring out a 3.0l D3 - maybe not.

The other factor for me was DMS tuning. If I could have a manual DMS tuned 330d I would be there in a flash (or a manual 335d for that matter).

When the 335d starts hitting the streets we will see a lot of articles about diesel coming of age.
Appreciate 0