View Single Post
      01-29-2023, 01:27 PM   #579
DCDEFAN
2022 BMW X5 45e
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5-45e M Sport

Garage List
This may be useless information especially for those who already know this, but to answer your question regarding design and why Tesla has decided to keep things more minimal with little change is because Elon said years ago, he wants to design vehicles where they're not thrown away 3yrs later because a new option is added or slight change in headlights, e.g.,BMW, Audi, Mercedes...etc.. He wants people to keep their vehicles for longer durations to have less environmental clutter, longterm. He feels if you add the right amount of hardware and make switches/buttons universal it'll stay simple and people will get used to it overtime, but just update software to keep up with technology times.
I personally believe this is a great motto. However, if other manufacturers don't follow suit, then Tesla will be left behind along with their value (longterm) when people quit buying them because Tesla can't keep up with comfort features, e.g., buttons for backseat passengers to turn their own seats off and on. Which leads me to another example, incorporating the rear heat seat buttons on the screen oppose to physical buttons. By eliminating the wiring, plastic molds, little lights to light them up at night, making additional cutouts to panels, etc. That may have only saved $20.00 per Model 3 or Y car, but you sell 1.3 million vehicles, that's a whole lot of savings that goes directly back into the company and investors pockets.

If you look at their design, it's done very well which is why Tesla has been so valuable. It costs a lot less to make their Y and 3 models (their most profitable models to date) than it does Chevy Cavalier (maybe a poor example), because nothing really changes but the steering wheel (and column) and floor pedals. So when they manufacture vehicles for right-handed countries, there's less changes to the design or manufacturing parts, hence the big screen in the middle and making the buttons only on the steering wheel and universal/adaptable to what the owner wants. Less buttons less cost for manufacturing and design, more money into profits. Tesla is essentially doing what Toyota has been doing with their Priuses for years. They're just more limited than a Prius' interior.

I need to make a comment in response to people talking about Tesla's batteries and their stock. People can complain about their batteries but it really falls onto the driver for (for the most part, yes there were manufacturing issues at first) negligence and or abuse. Most people who buy Tesla's almost always run their batteries hard the first few months because of the pure adrenaline rush and showing off to their friends, family and the person next to them in a Porsche 911 at a red light. You constantly run a battery hard there's room for damaging it from overheating, just as if you run an ICE hard all the time. Considering their battery technology is extremely old tech and how fast they are able to get their motors to run and length of time is pretty remarkable engineering with hard and software. That's what makes them stand out. The gap is closing in on them quite quickly, but they have more charging stations worldwide and are currently opening up their chargers to other manufacturers (not in the US) ...for a fee. That fee goes back into profits. That's what is keeping their stock up in comparison to other manufacturers. It's more about what else Tesla has to offer to make more profits compared to their competitors so it's no longer just a car manufacturer.

I think it's safe to say, Elon has upset many people over the years (regardless of political views) and also industries, and some may even want to see him fail. But I believe respect and compliments should be given when earned and deserved, no matter the case. He helped finance a company and quickly bought it when he saw an opportunity to make billions. He has changed the whole car industry in record time. Many manufacturers have tried and successfully failed. He (his money and OCD) made it happen. Think about all the current jobs at Tesla that didn't exist beforehand. If he fails, those jobs are gone. His views do make sense longterm. It's just difficult for humans to adjust, especially as we get older,(especially myself). I think he's more or less relying on the younger generation (longterm) to meet his goals with the company and his overall views. If you review all companies he owns it's one big eco system, all the way to the satellites way above us.

The more important question for the whole car industry is, when all manufacturers build the same technological electric vehicle, why would someone buy a Porsche if a Kia has the same capabilities and options? Currently, people buy Porsche's because of the engineering behind the engines, and suspension for speed and handling purposes, the sound from the exhaust (obviously a few more reasons), but if all cars are going to end up with the same battery technology and abilities, and they will be forced to use very similar if not same suspension (weight distribution), why would someone buy a Porsche over a Kia with exception of status purposes? Porsche (and other manufacturer's) are going to sell less product overtime to their much lesser competitors, how are they going to keep their clientele?

I bought a 45e because of work. There are times where I need to visit multiple sites/clients and I don't have time to sit in a lot because I'm driving over 400mi in a single day. That doesn't happen often but when it does, I want to make sure I can fill up and leave within 4min. it takes to put fuel in the car.

I realize this is a long message and most of you know one another from years of chatting. I hope this message was insightful to at least one person...LOL.

I haven't owned a Tesla for two reasons, battery technology is old (new battery hasn't been released yet) and a driver should always have information in front of them. If you don't want to add a speedometer or other gauges because of overall net costs then at least project some data on a windshield. It's not that expensive and can still be done where it doesn't affect overall costs to the build between both left and right-hand driving countries. Or at least offer a really good reliable aftermarket HUD. The company can make additional profits because I'm sure people would purchase them if it has the Tesla name on it. Those are my thoughts, Tesla. Get to work!....LOL. ��
Appreciate 3
________4158.50
Cos270608.50