01-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So my wife and I moved from a town that had wired internet to the house, still didn't have Fiber but it was ok. Our new place is in the country so the choice was satellite internet or cellular internet. I think this is what you're asking about. You require line of site to a cell tower, and no more than 8km/5miles away. The cost is a bit less than our previous set up, we pay a lot more than you folks in the US. Speed is fine, my wife is working from home and does lots of video conferencing. I don't think it's any worse bandwidth wise than when we were wired, sometimes she has to park the video and just use audio but that's not that often. I can be surfing or watching netflix or wasting my time on this forum while she's conferencing and there are no issues. I do find that occasionally (usually around 8pm) if I'm watching a movie it gets some pixilation but nothing major. Won't be getting anything in 4K anytime soon. Hope this is helpful.
I'm interested to hear what folks use for internet in rural areas, but my guess is 5G isn't a part of the discussion. We knew our current residence was to be a pit stop with the long term sights set to a bit more seclusion. That said, decent internet is mandatory.

I'm not a big internet user - really this site is about the only thing I periodically check in on. But I do have video conferences and presentations I have to give. Wife gets sucked into Netflix and the like, but it's more a wind-down activity at the end of the day.

Curious what you use and what kind of speeds you see? Is it something specific to our northern neighbors? Any data caps?
Appreciate 0