Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I'd summarize it this way...

The PA3 was like a really good high performance all season tire. Amazing on cold and dry pavement. OK in a light dusting. A piece of crap in deep, wet or icy snow. Some climates get really dry fluffy powder and it might be better but in our winters we get wet, icy snow. The PA3 was no better than an all season tire in this.

The LM-60 felt like a high performance winter tire on cold and dry pavement. Not sloppy like a Blizzak WS70 but not as firm and responsive as the PA3. In snow/ice, it was more like a real winter tire.

I have been driving RWD cars in Canadian winters for many years without any issues. The only time I had any real "holy shit" or "I'm going to get stuck" moments was with the PA3.

If I only drove the M4 when the pavement was dry, the PA3/PA4 would clearly be the ticket. However, I need to know I can get where I'm going if there is a mid-day storm and I'm at the office, etc. I did not have confidence in the PA3 in that circumstance. IMO, anyone who thinks the PA3 is a good snow/ice tire have never driven it in poor conditions. It is, at best, slightly better than a high performance all season in those conditions.
Thanks for the insight - very good to know! I had my PA3's for three winters here in Chicago - only a few times did I not have that great of traction - clearly the snow in your area is slushier/icer than in Chicago - but I may still switch to the LM-60's for that extra margin...
Appreciate 0