View Single Post
      06-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Write-up from a PCA instructor from Rennlist....

Last weekend we had a lot of discussion about what to call the various turns on the NJMP Lightning circuit, or even how many turns there are. The NJMP web site says it's 1.9 miles and 10 turns. My G2X data logger uses GPS and says it is 1.86 miles and 7 turns. The length of the track makes sense as my line around the track does not follow the edge of the pavement, but where do they find 10 turns? Also, with the exception of the big, banked Lightbulb turn there are no track-supplied diagrams that show the turn numbers. We counted 8 turns from memory, but my G2X looks at lateral Gs to determine map segments, and that translates into just 7 turns.

Let me hasten to add that however you count the turns, the track is wonderfully challenging, much more so than the track dagram alone would suggest. The elevation changes make this track work, and who wold expect that in sandy, level NJ? This track may be more fun than the Thunderbolt circuit, and who expected that!

So, here is a first crack at a turn-by-turn description that you can consider as you watch in-car video. (Mine coming later today, perhaps). Please add and correct as you gain experience. The data is from a lap that Payton Wilson ran in my car on Nitto NT-01s (not as sticky as Hoosiers). The lateral G numbers are the maximum for the turn and the two MPH numbers are speed at turn entry/exit. His time for the lap was 1:17.50 After he helped me, I ran a 1:19.87, and lots of 1:20s. He helped me a lot!

T1--turn in from far left and roll your right wheels over the low turtles. This is the only turn where you really should use the turtles. Turn in and apex (turtles) are visible, but track out is over the rise and is not visible until you reach the apex. The track seem to come back to you at track out, but that's an illusion. Go ahead and track out. 1.4Gs 68.65/72.64 MPH

T2--turn in is far left, but early so that you cheat across the turn to the middle of the track, making the T2/T3 curve into a double apex. 1.2Gs 75.27/72.42 MPH

T3--brake on turn in and align your car with the right side of the track. This is similar to coming out of the carousel at Summit Point where you want to be far right to set up for the the next turn. 1.2Gs 66.95/69.01 MPH

T4--the car is at low speed, so the turn in is sharp and on the gas hard to drive to T5 0.9Gs 60.51/74.11 MPH

T5--this is the hardest turn on the track--turn in is slow and quick but the apex is over the rise and not visible unless there is a cone there that you might see the top of. There is a lot of track on the other side of the rise for track out. Consider straightening your steering wheel as the car gets light over the rise and then dialing back in some turn to track out all the way. 1.1Gs 63.64/86.52 MPH

T6--the classic 90° turn. 1.2Gs 57.54/70.99 MPH

T7--Lightbulb. 15° banking. Long. Entry about mid-way left to right and then drop down to the apex about 3/4 of the way around. 1.3Gs 72.17/99.75 MPH

Note also that with the exception of the 1-2 straight, the straights are not wholly straight. The 5-6 straight with the bridge about over where it straightens out may not be a novic passing zone in DEs. The 6-7 straight bends, and there is a rise so that the kink is not visible until you are one it. The 7-1 straight isn't as straight as you'd think it should be at first. As you come onto it on the far right side there is also a seam in the pavement that NJMP is working to smooth. As it was last weekend it is either a bump if you drive T7 properly to be unloaded there or it tosses you to the left a bit if you are still loaded.
Attached Images

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0